SuiteCRM 7.2.1 - Import jsLanguage file not loaded - PHP file sent instead

When I use the SuiteCRM 7.2.1 Import module the confirmation dialog simply shows undefined(3) rather than the appropriate prompt. On investigation I found that there is a javascript error on the page(1), which is the result of the relative URL suitecrm/cache/jsLanguage/Import/en_us.js?v=5arRqJsAuz_Um1Mi0Apk0Q not responding with the correct javascript file, but a PHP page instead - it seems to be some sort of menu for testing module functions(2). All the other language string js files seem to load okay, and I checked the permissions and file ownership and that is all correct. It seems there is some filter blocking web access to that folder.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ian Hogan.




Same with me. And no one here has seen this?

Fixed: see

thanks - that link explained a bit more about the rewrite rules in the .htaccess file. This lead me to try the rewritten request for the Import language strings java script - ie - this results in the page loading with a warning dialog:

Changing module to say Accounts works okay - the correct javascript file is returned. It looks like the Import module name is being treated as some attempt to import into the Import module - which is not enabled for imports.

Hopefully this will lead to the right area to look for the bug.

Ian Hogan.

BTW, In the mean-time I have added the following rule to the .htaccess file:

RewriteRule ^cache/jsLanguage/Import/(…_…).js$ cache/jsLanguage/Import/$1.js [L,QSA]

This appears just above the normal rewrite rule and allows the cached file to be loaded.

This now allows the import process to work without the undefined prompt.