Suite P Theme - Too much whitespace. Need more compact Theme.

I switched from Salesforce and my users are accustomed to a lot of data on the screen. The new theme has so much whitespace and I feel like I have to scroll/search for the basics.
Is there a version of this theme without all the whitespace?
Is there a link to some fairly clear instructions for modifying the theme?

Version 7.7.2
Sugar Version 6.5.24 (Build 509)

1 Like

I recommend Suite R, it is a pretty good theme. I love the overall look of Suite P, but I agree with you, it is too spread out on the page to be workable. In fact, it isn’t just white space, it is the size of everything. I don’t have a recommendation for theme editing, I’ve never tried it.

I totally agree with you. I’m sticking with SuiteR because of this.

On my laptop, with the new SuiteP I can’t see my favorites on the left-hand menu without scrolling. Things like this are just functionally inappropriate, they are not just aesthetic issues.

This has been brought up several times, including in Github, but I don’t think it’s getting enough attention. I worry that the previous theme, SuiteR, isn’t going to be kept updated, it’s going to be “deprecated”. I’ve seen SuiteR bugs closed there invoking that reason… not a good direction IMHO.

We really need a compact theme, or a “compact mode” in the new theme.

In thinking about this more, this is probably for touch friendliness. It would be nice, however, if there was a touch friendly SuiteP and non-touch SuiteP… it would be even cooler if people could choose to apply different themes for mobile vs. desktop to facilitate switching between the two.

Ah finally makes sense why there is so much space for touch screens. Most of our users are at the desktop all the time and even the standard R layout was too much space and we made our own theme that reduces that. I agree the look is ok but just too hard to use as you spend too much time scrolling.

You made your own theme?
Tell me more?
Is it available? Where did you learn how?

Yes, touch screens are a nice “touch” but that’s not where the pain is.

There needs to be a way for the theme to know when it is in desktop or mobile/touch mode, because as you mentioned, it is too spread out on the desktop.

It’s a “responsive” theme, it already “knows” whether you’re on a tablet or not. The same goes for SuiteR.

You can try it by unmaximizing your browser window on a PC and dragging the edge of the window to resize it. As you reach the smaller sizes, you’ll see the layout changing.

The problem is that SuiteP changes some stuff on larger screens, but not padding, spacing, and button sizes.

I know it’s a responsive theme. The problem is in desktop mode, you have so much scrolling to do.

pgr… responsive doesn’t mean it knows whether you’re on a tablet or not, it means it knows what the width of your viewport is. It would be nice if, in addition to being responsive, it determined if you were on a touch device or not… and if not… didn’t provide so much padding and spacing. A few easy options would be a SuiteP theme that didn’t have so much padding/spacing that could either be switched on by knowing you’re on a tablet/phone or perhaps by a toggle switch to turn it on and off (similar to touch/no-touch in Microsoft and Adobe products). Another option would be to select that switch manually at the login screen. “I want SuiteP Touch” or “I want SuiteP Mouse”.

sieberta

responsive doesn’t mean it knows whether you’re on a tablet or not, it means it knows what the width of your viewport is.

Exactly correct.

Here’s a funny thing.
The theme changes depending if you login with a narrow viewport or not.

Or at least, that is true on the demo site http://suitecrm.com/demo

After you login in, you can then expand your viewport, and you still keep the theme!

To get SuiteR: Log in to the demo with a narrow viewport,

What browser are you using? And did you mean SuiteP? I tried this in Firefox and saw no difference… seemed like a cool idea though!

sieberta

I’m using Firefox, 48.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.

But today - it’s not doing it any more! It’s SuiteP no matter what starting viewport.

Apologies- perhaps there was something weird about my FF yesterday - though I did doublecheck it twice; including in a cookie-free Private_Window in firefox.

On my laptop, with the new SuiteP I can’t see my favorites on the left-hand menu without scrolling.

what screen resolution is your laptop?

I guess by ‘scrolling’ you mean ‘left-right scrolling’ ?

I agree the look is ok but just too hard to use as you spend too much time scrolling.

Has anyone got any working CSS tips for reducing the white space?
I just had a 10 minute look, I’m not a CSS guy, but in Detail view, it seems like a 'margin 0 16 0 0 ’ thing may be causing the excess white space between rows.

My resolution on laptop is 1920x1080. Normally I don’t maximize windows, so browser window is taking up almost all vertical space, but not all. Maybe 950 pixels.

What I mean by scrolling to the favorites is vertical scrolling. Basically the left-hand menu is so spaced that when I am in a module, I see the module actions, I see the recently used list (with less items than on SuiteR!), bit I don’t get to see the favorites below that without scrolling down.

About the other comments regarding responsive design: I know that it’s the viewport size that is used to select which CSS rules apply. I didn’t know that you could make those distinctions based on actual input type (touch/mouse). How can you do that?

bit I don’t get to see the favorites below that without scrolling down.

yes, that is a real pain for anyone that uses favourites.

Maybe it would be better if Favourites was on top of ‘Recently viewed’.

I know that it’s the viewport size that is used to select which CSS rules apply. I didn’t know that you could make those distinctions based on actual input type (touch/mouse). How can you do that?

I don;t think you can, in general. Unless the website is designed that way: and most don;t, as it is more sensible to do responsive RWD on viewport, not on device type.
SuiteCRM is not supposed to care about device: just viewport width.

me too I find it spreaded a bit too much,

ditto. all of the above.

New theme looks really nice but not usable on a laptop really. Would be great to have a compact version.

C

Line height too high

Carlo