Subscribe to Target List under Contact Details

I would like to add a field that allows me to directly add one contact, lead or account to one or different target lists.

I have several target lists based on audience segmentation and I believe it is faster to include them in the existing target list when creating a new contact. Not creating the contact and later doing a search to be able to add it.

Is something like this possible?

If you or anyone else is still interested in this then I’ll put together step by step instructions. What you end up with in the end is fairly close to what you are asking for. You can use either the Contacts menu or the quick create from the top menu to create a Contact, Lead or Account and once you click “Save” you are presented with the full Contact, Lead or Account page that will contain a new “Target List” sub-panel that you can add the new Contact, Lead or Account to. You can also remove the Contact, Lead or Account from any lists they are already on or even create a new Target List directly. Here’s what it looks like in the end. You can see that I created a test contact, clicked save, and added them to two existing target lists.

Hi, Thanks for your update!
That would be extremely useful. I was still last night adding more contacts to the database and trying to find a way myself to find a way to solve it, unsuccessfully.

My original idea was more about a new field in the create new account/contact form, but your solution is also very smart.

I look forward to your step by step instructions so I can test it on my platform.

Thanks!

I had the same thought about the create screen but this is easier and it’s just about as fast. I’ll try to put the instructions together this weekend.

@mookie_jam Ok, so here’s what I did to add a Target List sub-panel to my Contact pages using 7.10.29. (I’ve also included instructions for the Account and Lead pages. Note: This Information is based on an example from the 6.5 developer guide.)

*** Please note that the file paths, filenames and contents are different for every file.

Create the next 3 files to add a Target List subpanel to Contact pages.

Create the file:
.\custom\Extension\modules\Contacts\Ext\Vardefs\prospectlists_contacts_Contacts.php

<?php

$dictionary["Contact"]["fields"]["prospect_list_contacts"] = array (   
  'name' => 'prospect_list_contacts',   
  'type' => 'link',   
  'relationship' => 'prospect_list_contacts',   
  'source' => 'non-db',   
  'vname' => 'LBL_PROSPECTLISTS_CONTACTS_FROM_PROSPECTLISTS_TITLE', 
); 

Create the file:
.\custom\Extension\modules\Contacts\Ext\Layoutdefs\prospectlists_contacts_Contacts.php

<?php

$layout_defs["Contacts"]["subpanel_setup"]['prospect_list_contacts'] = array (   
  'order' => 100,   
  'module' => 'ProspectLists',   
  'subpanel_name' => 'default',   
  'sort_order' => 'asc',   
  'sort_by' => 'id',   
  'title_key' => 'LBL_PROSPECTLISTS_CONTACTS_FROM_PROSPECTLISTS_TITLE',   
  'get_subpanel_data' => 'prospect_list_contacts',   
  'top_buttons' => array (     
    0 => array (       
    'widget_class' => 'SubPanelTopButtonQuickCreate',     
    ),     
    1 => array (       
    'widget_class' => 'SubPanelTopSelectButton',       
    'mode' => 'MultiSelect',     
    ),   
  ), 
);

Create the file:
.\custom\Extension\modules\Contacts\Ext\Language\en_us.prospectlists_contacts_Contacts.php

<?php 

$mod_strings['LBL_PROSPECTLISTS_CONTACTS_FROM_PROSPECTLISTS_TITLE'] = 'Target Lists';

Make sure that the file permissions and ownership are set correctly and do a “Quick Repair and Rebuild”. You should now have a Target List subpanel in every Contact page.

Create the next 3 files to add a Target List subpanel to Account pages.

Create the file:
.\custom\Extension\modules\Accounts\Ext\Vardefs\prospectlists_accounts_Accounts.php

<?php

$dictionary["Account"]["fields"]["prospect_list_accounts"] = array (   
  'name' => 'prospect_list_accounts',   
  'type' => 'link',   
  'relationship' => 'prospect_list_accounts',   
  'source' => 'non-db',   
  'vname' => 'LBL_PROSPECTLISTS_ACCOUNTS_FROM_PROSPECTLISTS_TITLE', 
); 

Create the file:
.\custom\Extension\modules\Accounts\Ext\Layoutdefs\prospectlists_accounts_Accounts.php

<?php

$layout_defs["Accounts"]["subpanel_setup"]['prospect_list_accounts'] = array (   
  'order' => 100,   
  'sort_order' => 'asc',   
  'sort_by' => 'id',   
  'title_key' => 'LBL_PROSPECTLISTS_ACCOUNTS_FROM_PROSPECTLISTS_TITLE',   
  'get_subpanel_data' => 'prospect_list_accounts',   
  'top_buttons' => array (     
    0 => array (       
    ),     
    1 => array (       
    'mode' => 'MultiSelect',     
    ),   
  ), 
);

Create the file:
.\custom\Extension\modules\Accounts\Ext\Language\en_us.prospectlists_accounts_Accounts.php

<?php 

$mod_strings['LBL_PROSPECTLISTS_ACCOUNTS_FROM_PROSPECTLISTS_TITLE'] = 'Target Lists';

Create the next 3 files to add a Target List sub-panel to Lead Pages:

Create the file:
.\custom\Extension\modules\Leads\Ext\Vardefs\prospectlists_leads_Leads.php

<?php

$dictionary["Lead"]["fields"]["prospect_list_leads"] = array (   
  'name' => 'prospect_list_leads',   
  'type' => 'link',   
  'relationship' => 'prospect_list_leads',   
  'source' => 'non-db',   
  'vname' => 'LBL_PROSPECTLISTS_LEADS_FROM_PROSPECTLISTS_TITLE', 
); 

Create the file:
.\custom\Extension\modules\Leads\Ext\Layoutdefs\prospectlists_leads_Leads.php

<?php

$layout_defs["Leads"]["subpanel_setup"]['prospect_list_leads'] = array (   
  'order' => 100,   
  'sort_order' => 'asc',   
  'sort_by' => 'id',   
  'title_key' => 'LBL_PROSPECTLISTS_LEADS_FROM_PROSPECTLISTS_TITLE',   
  'get_subpanel_data' => 'prospect_list_leads',   
  'top_buttons' => array (     
    0 => array (       
    ),     
    1 => array (       
    'mode' => 'MultiSelect',     
    ),   
  ), 
);

Create the file:
.\custom\Extension\modules\Leads\Ext\Language\en_us.prospectlist_leads_Leads.php

<?php 

$mod_strings['LBL_PROSPECTLISTS_LEADS_FROM_PROSPECTLISTS_TITLE'] = 'Target Lists';

Again, make sure that the file permissions and ownership are set correctly and do a “Quick Repair and Rebuild”. You should now have a Target List subpanel in every Account and Lead page.

1 Like

I have tried installing it and, meanwhile the Target Lists subpanel appears under the Contact details page, it is not showing up under Accounts nor Leads.

Can you check the code is correct? Or maybe I did a mistake installing it?

Also, is there any way to re-arrange the subpanels in Contact/Account/Lead details, so I can put this new Target Lists subpanel in a higher position?

Thank you again for your help. I truly believe this should be included as part of the standard version, as mail campaigns are a crucial part of a CRM.

@mookie_jam To rearrange the subpanel order you can just drag the panels around. That’s why my screen capture shows the Target List subpanel at the top. I’ll take a look at the code samples again to make sure I didn’t make any mistakes. In the meantime, could you verify that the created filenames, file paths and file contents match exactly to the 9 files above. The Contacts, Accounts, and Leads subpanels are all in different paths with unique filenames and unique content. Also note that the paths and filenames are case sensitive. I’ll start looking at the files now and I should be able to let you know if I find anything wrong today. Also, did you remember to do a Quick Repair and Rebuild after adding the Accounts and Leads section? (It was the last step.) ***Update I didn’t find any content mistakes in the supplied information but I could just be blind to my own errors… But since you have the first part “Contacts” working I feel like permissions should not be a problem and I’m leaning more to path, filename, or file contents differences or maybe just a missing Quick Repair and Rebuild

It works like a charm! I having so much fun using it. @pgr This is so important that I can not believe this is not part of the default version… Thank you very much for your time coming out with this solution.

It was my mistake. I thought there were only 3 different folders (they are 9 different ones, indeed) and put all the files under the Contacts folder. After re-reading your last email I found my mistake and went back to the installation message.

1 Like

I’m glad it worked for you and I agree that this should be included in the standard install. I know our campaign managers appreciate the time savings. You may also benefit from another post I made recently showing how to make the contacts and leads clickable in the Campaign Log. When you run an email campaign you often get bounces due to invalid email. (You may also just want to follow-up with the target for sales reasons.) When you look at the Campaign Status screen you can see the addresses but cannot click on them and are forced to copy and search. Here’s a link to the other post if you are interested.