Sorting to include numbers

Hello,

When sorting in listview or reports i have a column which begins with numbers. e.g. 1a Example 1, 1b Example 2, 2a Example 3

Currently this will sort on the first letter giving me: 1a Example 1, 2a Example 3, 1b Example 2.

Is there a way to get this to sort including the first number?

Bump

Hi,

Is this Column a custom field? If so, what type of field is it?

What version of SuiteCRM are you using? It seems to order correctly for me in SuiteCRM 7.3.1.

Also, Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the listview, just for additional Clarity?

Hello John,

This column is a custom field which is a dropdown. I cannot provide the whole listview as it contains sensitive data however i have attached what the column appears like in the listview when sorted.

I am using 7.3.1

Hi,

Please navigate to Admin > Dropdown Editor and select the Dropdown list that you use for your custom field.

Would you be able to post a screenshot of this? Or at the least, the Item names in the dropdown?

Since the CRM will store Dropdown values by the Item name, not the Display label, it also sorts it by the Item name.
This means that your item names may be ordered correctly, but your Display labels may make it look as though it is not ordered correctly.

I wasn’t aware of that. Below is the list:

Is there a way i can easily modify the Item Names as i already have records which make use of this dropdown.

Hi,

I think that you can rearrange “mannualy” the order placement of your dropdowns.

This will not affect dropdowns already inserted in the database.

Regards

V Barroso

Unfortunately sislinc, I’m not sure that this will work. It’ll change how they are originally seen on Dropdowns, but they will still be ordered as they were previously.

If you want to change the Item names, you may need to edit them via the code.
You can find the file at /custom/include/language/en_us.lang.php

You should be able to find your Dropdown list as an array, with the values laid out like:
=>
so for example:

communication_sent => ‘1a Communication Sent’

You would be able to edit the Item names here, by changing the values on the left.
Keep in mind that the item names should not special characters like spaces.
A suitable replacement may be something like 1a_communication_sent.

Then, run a ‘Quick repair and rebuild’ from the Admin > Repair menu.

As the data is also stored in the database using the Item name, you will also have to update the existing records so that the values reflect the new changes.

1 Like

That sounds like it should do the trick. Thank you for spending the time to help.