Show Data From Custom Field In Different Module

I’m looking for some advice - I believe that I will need to use logic hooks to accomplish what I want, but I can’t seem to find a guide as to how to actually accomplish it or get it to work!

What I want to do is be able to show data from a custom field in Accounts module in the Cases module, at the point that a case is being created & is assigned to an account (preferably before the case is initially saved).

So lets say there is a field in Accounts called SLA. This is a text field & the data is saved against each account in the database.

Then when an account is selected in Case, I want the data from the Accounts SLA field to be shown in the Cases module - not to be edited, simply for information.

How do I accomplish this?? :blink:

I’ve posted a sample code over here for a similar requirement
https://suitecrm.com/forum/suitecrm-7-0-discussion/12823-workflow-action-to-populate-field#43249

Amariussi raised some valid points regarding such requirements at
https://suitecrm.com/forum/suitecrm-7-0-discussion/12766-custom-field-from-accounts-to-contacts#43269

Read both the posts and make sure how you need to proceed.

Thanks for the additional reading - I hadn’t actually come across them during the searching so that was another method to try!

However…I feel I am doing something really simple wrong, as I still cannot get it to work.

This is the code I came up with after reading your post:

class before_save_class
    {
        function before_save_method($bean, $event, $arguments)
        {

$account = new Account(); // So this links $account to the Accounts module?
           $account->retrieve($bean->lbl_account_name); // This is the label of the field in Accounts that has the account name - which is what we search for in Cases when creating a new case, so once this account is selected, the below should be filled in?

// $bean is your current record being saved. 
           // $account is the related account.
           $bean->support_level_c = $account->support_level_c; // These are the field in Accounts that I want to be shown in Cases once the Account has been selected (before saving the case)

}

But I still cannot get it to show! How do I relate support_level_c in the Cases module to Support_Level_C in Accounts? Do I create a text field in Cases? Or a relate field? Nothing I seem to do actually causes it to be automatically filled in from the Accounts module!

:frowning:

Since we are dealing with cases, the field which contains account’s ID is account_id
So you retrieval would be something like

$account->retrieve($bean->account_id);

In this case if you update the support level in accounts, it will be not be updated in previously created cases automatically, unless you edit/save the case again.
Just to add a few more points,
If you update support level in accounts and then edit/save a previous case, its support level will also be updated. This is called as infinite loops in logic hooks.
Thers a guide here to avoid such loops
http://support.sugarcrm.com/Documentation/Sugar_Developer/Sugar_Developer_Guide_7.6/Logic_Hooks/Examples/Preventing_Infinite_Loops_with_Logic_Hooks/

And lastly, yes you will need a text field “support_level_c” in cases to hold the value from accounts.

1 Like

Arsalan thank you! That was the last piece of the puzzle!! :slight_smile: