Restore custom fields after moving servers

Guys, I can really use some help here. In SuiteCRM Admin, there is a function in Backup for exporting the SuiteCRM data which includes the custom fields that may have been created. Question is, there is no Restore option so where would you use this file that you saved??
What if your server crashes? you can reinstall SuiteCRM and your database dump, but then the custom fields are missing??
Am I missing something?
I need to move my working installation to a new server, but can’t figure how to get the custom fields back.
Please help.

thanks

Hi there,

Do you have a backup which has the custom fields in your fields_meta_data table?

Thanks,

Will.

Hi Will
Yes I have a Backup made from SuiteCRM in the Admin screen.
Thanks

Hi there,

Did you also take a DB dump? The SugarCRM/SuiteCRM backup may only backup the files, not your DB data.

Thanks,

Will.

Hi Will
Yes I have both. I just don’t see a way to use the Suitecrm backup to get my custom fields.

Hi there,

Do you have a client such as phpmyadmin? You can import the data from your fields_meta_data table in your exported DB and this will restore your custom fields.

Thanks,

Will.

Hi Will
Could you explain the sequence a little more in detail? I don’t understand how a new install of Suitecrm is going to get the custom fields added. I have never worked with myphpadmin and I am not an expert in databases.
Thanks

Hi there,

The fields_meta_data table contains the data for your custom fields. If you import this data to your new SuiteCRM database, your custom fields will be created in your new instance.

You mentioned in another post that you are running XAMPP. You should be able to navigate to the XAMPP website and that will tell you how to set up your phpmyadmin to control your database.

Thanks,

Will.

I tried xammp as I was having issues getting php to work on the new pc. I deleted it as I managed to configure manually and my original install did not use xammp. I can reinstall with xammp if required.
I just want to make sure I follow you correctly.
Install suite crm which will create a blank MySQL database without custom fields.
Use phpmyadmin to import Suitecrm meta backup file to add custom fields to new database.
Then import data into database from MySQL dump file using MySQL control panel?

Am I missing anything?