Projects Templates working properly?

I use projects quite a bit, but never really messed with “start to start” and “start to finish” business in the project templates. It seems to work properly in a project, but I’m thinking it doesn’t when a project is created from the template (having just gone through this to fix another bug, I’ll take this one on if it is indeed a bug!).

So here’s the definition of the two types of tasks (SuiteCRM docs isn’t much help here):

Finish To Start

Finish to Start is a Logical Relationship in which a Successor Activity cannot start until a Predecessor Activity has finished.”

This is the most commonly used relationship in a network diagram; the start of the successor activity depends on the predecessor activity’s finish.

Start To Start

Start to Start is a Logical Relationship in which a Successor Activity cannot start until a Predecessor Activity has started.”

In simple words, the start of the successor activity depends on the start of the predecessor activity.

So when I create a start to start task I’m expecting it to be created concurrently with it’s predecessor, not after. However, that’s not what happens. Basically every task ends up being finish to start.

Example:

This is what get’s created…

It doesn’t seem to matter what I set the project template tasks at.

Am I correct here this is wrong? If so, I kind of get the logic in the template-> project construction and will review in more detail. I think it’s a bug.

1 Like

thanks @rsp I read that, there’s not much detail there about how it works and it doesn’t address start-start finish-start.

I think you’re right. Great find. Start to Start means “this task’s” start time is set to the time of its “predecessor” (really, concurrent) task start time. Which is unknown until the “predecessor” task gets its start time.

Maybe it doesn’t allow to have overlapping tasks under same project :thinking: