Permissions and DateTimeZone Error

I am getting the following errors that I do not understand why.
Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings. You are required to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected ‘UTC’ for ‘AWST/8.0/no DST’ instead occurred in /var/www/clients/client0/web3/web/suitecrm/include/SugarLogger/SugarLogger.php on line 143 [2015-04-08 01:07:21]

I have the following in my php.ini which is in the SUITECRM folder is set - date.timezone=“Australia/Melbourne”

I also have the following Permissions error even though I have set all permissions as per the recommendations
Warning: touch(): Unable to create file ./suitecrm_04_08_15.log because Permission denied occurred in /var/www/clients/client0/web3/web/suitecrm/include/SugarLogger/SugarLogger.php on line 167 [2015-04-08 01:15:25] display_stack_trace caller, file: /var/www/clients/client0/web3/web/suitecrm/include/utils.php line#: 3254

Sounds like you need to suppress warnings/notices in your php.ini. You also need to ensure owner/group and dirmode/filemode permissions are set correctly in the config.php file.