New SuiteCRM 8 installer doesn't run - browser shows "Forbidden You don't have permission to access this resource"

Hi all, Iā€™m attempting to install SuiteCRM 8 to try out all the cool new features but instead of the installer appearing in my browser I get ā€œForbidden You donā€™t have permission to access this resourceā€.

I am attempting to install SuiteCRM-8.0.3.zip on FreeBSD v13 with PHP 8.0.15, Apache 2.4.52 and MariaDb 10.5.13, and using the recommended vhost definition in the installation instructions.

Reveiwing the SuiteCRM v8 php requirements list, I have all modules installed except for ā€œcliā€ and ā€œcommonā€.

phpinfo reports my server php configure command includes ā€˜ā€“disable-cliā€™. However ā€œphp --versionā€ reports ā€œPHP 8.0.15 (cli) (built: Jan 22 2022 01:15:46)ā€, implying cli is present.

ā€œcommonā€ appears to be a distribution-specific collection of commonly used modules, and available on at least on REL but not on FreeBSD. My installed modules are listed below. Can anyone say if Iā€™m missing any which would result in the ā€œForbiddenā€¦ā€ error connecting to SuiteCRM 8?

Thanks in advance,
Dale

% php -m
[PHP Modules]
bcmath
bz2
Core
ctype
curl
date
dom
exif
fileinfo
filter
gd
gettext
gmp
hash
iconv
imagick
intl
json
libxml
mbstring
mysqli
mysqlnd
openssl
pcre
PDO
pdo_mysql
posix
Reflection
session
SimpleXML
soap
SPL
standard
xml
xmlreader
xmlwriter
zip
zlib

[Zend Modules]

%

Did you run these commands during your setup?

find . -type d -not -perm 2755 -exec chmod 2755 {} ;
find . -type f -not -perm 0644 -exec chmod 0644 {} ;
find . ! -user www-data -exec chown www-data:www-data {} ;
chmod +x bin/console

Section 2.3 on this page - Downloading & Installing :: SuiteCRM Documentation

Yes, I set permissions using the recommended procedure.

Fwiw, I successfully installed the latest SuiteCRM v7 release without issue. I suspect there is some subtle changes in how v8 is served, or perhaps the default apache configuration on FreeBSD that is causing me grief.

Making progressā€¦

1. replaced ā€œOrder Allow,Denyā€ with ā€œRequire all grantedā€ in the Apache vhost definition as I am using Apache 2.4. Configuring a Web Server (Symfony Docs)

2. installed php80-tokenizer.

After this the installer ran and completed successfully, but after logging in as the new admin user the dashboard reports ā€œInternal Server Errorā€. The error in the Apache log is:

[Sat Feb 26 17:53:06.910641 2022] [php:warn] [pid 92980] [client 62.210.215.100:49213] PHP Warning: Attempt to read property "post_type" on null in /usr/local/www/wordpress/wp-includes/class-wp-query.php on line 4273

I found a similar issue report in the forum, I seem to be having the same re-direct issues with home/dashboard and most anything in the Admin dropdown. SuiteCRM8 install issues on FreeBSD/Truenas - #2 by TripitakaBC

@clemente.raposo if this now looks like the same issue, I would very much appreciate your insight.

This is my public/.htaccess

dale@whizzer:/usr/local/www/suitecrm/public % cat ./.htaccess
# Use the front controller as index file. It serves as a fallback solution when
# every other rewrite/redirect fails (e.g. in an aliased environment without
# mod_rewrite). Additionally, this reduces the matching process for the
# start page (path "/") because otherwise Apache will apply the rewriting rules
# to each configured DirectoryIndex file (e.g. index.php, index.html, index.pl).
DirectoryIndex index.php

# By default, Apache does not evaluate symbolic links if you did not enable this
# feature in your server configuration. Uncomment the following line if you
# install assets as symlinks or if you experience problems related to symlinks
# when compiling LESS/Sass/CoffeScript assets.
# Options FollowSymlinks

# Disabling MultiViews prevents unwanted negotiation, e.g. "/index" should not resolve
# to the front controller "/index.php" but be rewritten to "/index.php/index".
<IfModule mod_negotiation.c>
    Options -MultiViews
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^index.php.*$ - [L,NC]

# Determine the RewriteBase automatically and set it as environment variable.
    # If you are using Apache aliases to do mass virtual hosting or installed the
    # project in a subdirectory, the base path will be prepended to allow proper
    # resolution of the index.php file and to redirect to the correct URI. It will
    # work in environments without path prefix as well, providing a safe, one-size
    # fits all solution. But as you do not need it in this case, you can comment
    # the following 2 lines to eliminate the overhead.
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI}::$0 ^(/.+)/(.*)::\2$
    RewriteRule .* - [E=BASE:%1]

# Sets the HTTP_AUTHORIZATION header removed by Apache
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} .+
    RewriteRule ^ - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%0]

# Redirect to URI without front controller to prevent duplicate content
    # (with and without `/index.php`). Only do this redirect on the initial
    # rewrite by Apache and not on subsequent cycles. Otherwise we would get an
    # endless redirect loop (request -> rewrite to front controller ->
    # redirect -> request -> ...).
    # So in case you get a "too many redirects" error or you always get redirected
    # to the start page because your Apache does not expose the REDIRECT_STATUS
    # environment variable, you have 2 choices:
    # - disable this feature by commenting the following 2 lines or
    # - use Apache >= 2.3.9 and replace all L flags by END flags and remove the
    #   following RewriteCond (best solution)
    RewriteCond %{ENV:REDIRECT_STATUS} =""
    RewriteRule ^index\.php(?:/(.*)|$) %{ENV:BASE}/$1 [R=301,L]

# If the requested filename exists, simply serve it.
    # We only want to let Apache serve files and not directories.
    # Rewrite all other queries to the front controller.
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^ %{ENV:BASE}/index.php [L]
</IfModule>

<IfModule !mod_rewrite.c>
    <IfModule mod_alias.c>
        # When mod_rewrite is not available, we instruct a temporary redirect of
        # the start page to the front controller explicitly so that the website
        # and the generated links can still be used.
        RedirectMatch 307 ^/$ /index.php/
        # RedirectTemp cannot be used instead
    </IfModule>
</IfModule>
dale@whizzer:/usr/local/www/suitecrm/public %

Your php warning there is from WordPress not SuiteCRM, isnā€™t it?

@aaronh yes, you are correct, my apologies. I must have copied the wrong line in haste, as I am confident I saw the same error posted by TripitakaBC:

ā€¦/usr/local/www/suitecrm/public/legacy/.htaccess: RewriteBase: argument is not a valid URL, referer: ā€¦

However, now after dropping and recreating the database, I get a blank screen instead of the installer. :frowning: Itā€™s been a long day, I will start over again tomorrow back at the beginning with re-extracting the distribution. Thanks for your help.

Dale

Fresh start and the installer completed successfully again. At least that much is consistent. :slight_smile: This time I added a trailing ā€œ/ā€ to the URL in the installer, hoping I understood TripitakaBCā€™s solution but no luck and got ā€œServer Errorā€ again after logging in. Most menus seem to work except for Home and Admin, that give Server Error.

The error message in the Apache log was as I recalled, and this time will copy correctly:

[Sun Feb 27 00:43:06.528377 2022] [core:alert] [pid 49765] [client 174.0.43.39:42438] /usr/local/www/suitecrm/public/legacy/.htaccess: RewriteBase: argument is not a valid URL, referer: http://suitecrm.dalescott.net/

I compared the ā€¦/public/.htaccess posted earlier to the current ā€¦/public/.htaccess (after adding a trailing ā€œ/ā€ to the URL given in the installer) and they are identical. Reviewing TripitakaBCā€™s .htaccess again, there seems to have been significant changes made to public/.htacces since that time (Nov 2021), and Iā€™m not knowledgeable enough about Apache re-writing to understand more.

Iā€™m running out of ideas and any suggestions would be appreciated. Is it possible there are more changes required to my apache vhost definition for Apache 2.4?

Hi @dalescott,

I believe you are looking at two different issues here. The first, you solved following the post I made.

The second, is that the rewrite cannot find the URL to http://suitecrm.dalescott.net/

Try opening a console on whatever system you have suitecrm installed on and type:
curl http://suitecrm.dalescott.net/

Make CERTAIN that your suitecrm installation can resolve to that FQDN. The error is suggesting that it cannot which points to a DNS issue, possibly as a result of being behind a reverse proxy.

I can get your login page from here so it seems to be resolving OK. Obviously, I donā€™t have access to it but I can see the login screen.

Hi @TripitakaBC. You can try logging in if you want. Username ā€œdaleā€ and password ā€œLZY9n3PS6Rqiā€ (itā€™s a throw-away password and thereā€™s no data yet in SuiteCRM).

OK, I get the Internal Server Error there after logging in which means we are back to the redirect error I got.

I actually gave up on SuiteCRM as it was to complex for my needs and as a beginner trying to deal with low-info levels on the new v8 release, I moved to EspoCRM which Iā€™m still on. I know way more than I did back then so I may move back to SuiteCRM in the future. I share that just to give some insight that Iā€™m not 100% up to date on current SuiteCRM.

It looks like you are running FreeBSD so I wonder if you are building this in a TrueNAS jail? If so, I have some build scripts I can share because I must have rebuilt that jail 20 times trying to resolve the issue and the scripts build it in about 2 minutes.

If I recall, I may have ended up on PHP74 due to issues with PHP80. I see you are on PHP80 so may be worth a try.

@TripitakaBC I missed your first reply. Reponse to curl seems to indicate suitecrm.dalescot.net is resolving. Fwiw Iā€™m using noip.com for DNS and have separate domain entries for a number of vhosts. The other vhosts all use SSL with Letsencrypt certs. I created and installed a Letsencrypt cert for suitecrm.dalescott.net with certbot, and all worked ok with SuiteCRM v7. I then disabled SSL (commenting relevent lines in httpd-vhosts.conf and httpd-vhosts-le-ssl.conf) while trying to install SuiteCRM v8. At first it seemed Chrome would sometimes access SuiteCRM using SSL, but I attributed it to my SSL/non-SSL experimenting and it stopped after I cleared the cache in Chrome.

dale@whizzer:~ % curl http://suitecrm.dalescott.net
<!DOCTYPE html><html lang="en"><head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <title>SuiteCRM</title>
    <base href="">

<meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0">
    <meta http-equiv="expires" content="0">
    <meta http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1">

<link rel="manifest" href="site.webmanifest">
    <link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="dist/themes/suite8/images/favicon.ico">
<style>:root{--blue:#007bff;--indigo:#6610f2;--purple:#6f42c1;--pink:#e83e8c;--red:#dc3545;--orange:#fd7e14;--yellow:#ffc107;--green:#28a745;--teal:#20c997;--cyan:#17a2b8;--white:#fff;--gray:#6c757d;--gray-dark:#343a40;--primary:#007bff;--secondary:#6c757d;--success:#28a745;--info:#17a2b8;--warning:#ffc107;--danger:#dc3545;--light:#f8f9fa;--dark:#343a40;--breakpoint-xs:0;--breakpoint-sm:576px;--breakpoint-md:768px;--breakpoint-lg:992px;--breakpoint-xl:1200px;--font-family-sans-serif:-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,"Segoe UI",Roboto,"Helvetica Neue",Arial,"Noto Sans",sans-serif,"Apple Color Emoji","Segoe UI Emoji","Segoe UI Symbol","Noto Color Emoji";--font-family-monospace:SFMono-Regular,Menlo,Monaco,Consolas,"Liberation Mono","Courier New",monospace;}*,:after,:before{box-sizing:border-box;}html{font-family:sans-serif;line-height:1.15;-webkit-text-size-adjust:100%;-webkit-tap-highlight-color:transparent;}body{font-family:-apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,Segoe UI,Roboto,Helvetica Neue,Arial,Noto Sans,sans-serif,Apple Color Emoji,Segoe UI Emoji,Segoe UI Symbol,Noto Color Emoji;font-size:1rem;font-weight:400;line-height:1.5;color:#212529;text-align:left;background-color:#fff;}body{height:100%;margin:0;padding:0;border:none;background:#f5f5f5;}</style><link rel="stylesheet" href="dist/styles.77da3e898457fbaaee33.css" media="print" onload="this.media='all'"><noscript><link rel="stylesheet" href="dist/styles.77da3e898457fbaaee33.css"></noscript></head>

<body>
<app-root></app-root>
<script src="dist/polyfills-es5.4ac9e0b975194dde5c28.js" nomodule defer></script><script src="dist/polyfills-es2015.72528892cc7709ea2d41.js" type="module"></script><script src="dist/main-es2015.e204a829473fb71d849f.js" type="module"></script><script src="dist/main-es5.e204a829473fb71d849f.js" nomodule defer></script>

</body></html>dale@whizzer:~ % ls /usr/local/etc/apache24/extra/httpd-vh*

Thanks @TripitakaBC for confirming as much. Iā€™m running SuiteCRM on baremetal FreeBSD v13 with PHP 8 (not in a jail). I will try upgrading to PHP 8.1 when I get a chance.

Thanks also for reference to EspoCRM. SuiteCRM is more CRM than I also need, but itā€™s the Projects module Iā€™m really interested in. My primary focus is helping hardware startups manage parts, bills of materials and supply chain, accelerate new product introduction and scale production. Iā€™ve investigated other web-based open source project management software and they have either been too simple (e.g. Nextcloud Deck) or too complex (e.g. OpenProject, ]project-open[, projeQtOr). The Projects module in SuiteCRM looked like it might be just right.

Startups generally also need to migrate from email contacts and spreadsheet CRM to something more formal, and I could offer SuiteCRM as another arrow in my quiver so to speak.

Thanks for the PM, Iā€™ll ping you there.

If anyone has any other suggestions, Iā€™m all ears. :wink: TIA

Solved! I re-installed from scratch again, but this time I used the complete URL in the installer (http://suitecrm.dalescott.net) and ā€œ127.0.0.1ā€ for host address instead of ā€œlocalhostā€. After logging in the first-time wizard ran successfully (which it hadnā€™t before, only ā€œServer errorā€). I then re-enabled the SSL re-writing generated by Certbot and re-installed one more time using https://suitecrm.dalescott.net as the site URL and the installer ran correctly again.

To summarize, compared to the V8 installation instructions, I

• replaced ā€œOrder Allow,Denyā€ with ā€œRequire all grantedā€ in the Apache vhost definition for Apache 2.4
  • installed php80-tokenizer (note that dom is also required, although not included in the installation instructions)
  • in the installer, I used the complete URL with protocol for the SuiteCRM instance (https://suitecrm.dalescott.net)
  • also in the insaller, I used ā€œ127.0.0.1ā€ for the Host Name instead of ā€œlocalhostā€

Everything isnā€™t perfect yet however. I uploaded a photo to my user profile but itā€™s not getting displayed. Iā€™ll troubleshoot a bit more and open a new topic if needed.

I was able to get this to work on CentOS7, Apache, PHP 7.4, But I had to do the following:

1. Make sure that the MySQL DB and User allow all connections

2. Add to public/.htaccess
    php_value error_reporting 2039
    php_value upload_max_filesize 64M
    php_value post_max_size 64M
    php_value max_execution_time 300
    php_value max_input_time 300

3. I use open_basedir restrictions, so I had to add to the virtual host file:

php_admin_value upload_tmp_dir /path/to/user/tmp
php_admin_value sys_temp_dir /path/to/user/tmp
php_admin_value open_basedir /path/to/user
php_admin_value session.save_path /path/to/user/tmp

1. Also had to add to the virtual hosts file Directory settings:

Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Allow from All
Require all granted

1. I also add the crm.mydomain.com to the /etc/hosts and resolved it to the IP of the server

2. I also updated all composer files before installing. I did this by using Composer and then doing a ā€œphp ./composer.phar updateā€ and then ā€œrm composer.pharā€ to clean up.

3. I edited the public/legacy/config.php and placed the following at the top:

putenv(ā€˜TMPDIR=/path/to/user/tmpā€™);

After doing all of that, I was able to finally get this working. Took 5+ hours if farting around.

Hope this saves someone some time.

Zip