We at SalesAgility have been busy internally planning a lot of new processes and ways to maintain and interact with the ever growing community and your requests. The past couple years we have tried (and unfortunately not achieved) to stay ontop of the SuiteCRM github board. Although we all know that this is not an easy feat it needs to be dealt with and we want to begin laying down the groundwork to relieve the obvious bottlenecks within the company and gain traction of reducing issues and PRs. As I have said in another thread that we are very appreciative of your patience and your continued support whilst we make these small progressive, but hopefully effective, changes to truly make SuiteCRM a fantastic Open Source Community we can all be proud of.
So lets begin…
We are moving suggestions away from Github to a more suitable place that we can clearly track, plan, upvote and then schedule into the SuiteCRM roadmap. This move will happen over this weekend and any new suggestions will be added to the platform we will be using which is Trello.
This board (SuiteCRM Suggestion Box) will be visible and open to the public which (requires login) can comment, subscribe, up vote, and in the future relate issues, PRs, branches and commits to suggestions. It will also include the kanban style columns i.e. backlog, in discussion, needs work etc etc. This will provide everyone a visual cue of what is happening and what’s required by them to establish a suggestion into a proposed feature.
The aim being is that with this new interaction with SalesAgility and the Community we will be able to clearly define, schedule and allocate appropriately suggestions to see them successfully merged into SuiteCRM more quickly. All suggestions which are agreed and hit the end of the board (i.e. ‘schedule’) then they will have a place on our or the Community’s roadmap (which I will discuss in another announcement)…
So we can focus on dealing with suggestions without having them grouped together within the mountain of issues currently on Github.
With removing these types of ‘issues’ (currently stand at 177) we can allocate dedicate time appropriately to our bug fixes and allow the appropriate people to discuss and progress the suggestions separately.
Provide a more transparent time line of the end to end process of suggestion into merged feature.
We can introduce and implement Community provided contribution more efficiently into suitable sprints and releases.
- Having a separate platform provides us at SalesAgility to do an initial filter of what we feel should be discussed and appropriately allocate to either ourselves or the Community.
- Provides and visualises a clear definition of progression of a suggestion into an agreed feature specification using kanban methodology
- Includes a clear up vote system which will aid with prioritisation - though SalesAgility do have prerogative to progress lower voted suggestions if required.
- Remains open to the public
- Can in the future attach Github Issues, PR, Commits, Branches to a suggestion to retain github connectivity.
- Requires platform login (similar to Github)
- Suggestions made by the public will still require to be created on Github (as the platform does not allow non board members to create cards).
- Some other platform based issues – but we feel they are very minor.
- Not as integrated with Github as hoped but very suitable for suggestions only.
- Existing suggestions will be closed
So this will mean that all the existing suggestions will be closed on Github and re-created on the new platform. You should not lose any comments or history from the issue as suggestions re-created will be linked appropriately however the up vote system will be re-started so may require members to apply their votes again to kick start the prioritise list that we will begin to employ.
As this transition is happening please feel free to provide your thoughts that can help us improve on the new platform i.e. labels columns etc. Currently the board is disallowing comments until the full migration has happened (hopefully by Monday 03/04/2017 morning).
Look forward to seeing you all on the new SuiteCRM Suggestion Box!
Also, shameless plug, but if you haven’t joined trello yet then I would like to ask if you are able to do so using the following link (so we can get a couple of free months )