Help to understand the difference in architecture between Suite7 and Suite8

I’m an ‘enthusiast’ and have spent a long time trying to get to grips with coding, customising, and understanding how SuiteCRM works.

I was hoping to transfer those skills to Suite8; and prepared to put in the time to learn a new architecture.
However there doesn’t seem to be a simple overview of the changes ?

Are there any guides available to help those like me?

The problem with documenting complex and extensive code changes is that only the developers know how to do it. And if the developers are just a few, and there are team changes, and there is a LOT of work still left to be done… documentation gets left behind.

But of course, a community like ours with so many developers, needs documentation, and I agree with your request. Those of us who make some progress understanding Suite8 should go ahead and add documentation, even if it doesn’t seem like much.

A few basics:

• SuiteCRM 7 lives inside SuiteCRM 8 (public/legacy).
  • the different systems (old vs new) kick in module by module, and it’s configurable. You can revert specific modules back to the legacy engine, to keep your custom code working.
  • all the UI now goes through the GraphQL API. So, while in SuiteCRM 7 the UI and the add-ons used Beans directly, and only external systems used the API, now everything attaches to the API layer.
  • SuiteCRM 8 is based on Symfony and you can learn a lot by studying generic Symfony stuff, like the auto-wiring of services, the Doctrine DB engine, etc.
  • read existing code to find out how things are done: the new modules typically use YAML files describing the Angular UI and you can try a few things by copying what is there and adapting to your needs.
1 Like

Thanks pgr,
I hope i didn’t come across as complaining, and realise that documentation is a project in itself. But any documentation at all is a great help when you’re in the dark.

Do you know how long will v7 be supported in the legacy folder?

I guess nobody knows the answer to that. They’ll just keep replacing SuiteCRM 7 parts until all of them are gone. I suspect it might take a long time.