Geocoding - high Google API usage --> cost?

Hi
I’m learning on how to use GOOGLE’s geocoding API with Suite CRM. Managed to set things up and they seem to be working well, but Google Service reports a very high geocode API usage (around 3 requests per minute constant, 24h/day).
I feel it’s way too much for what is happening in the system. I have set up a CRON job for geocoding as described in Geocoded Counts Admin menu. It’s scheduled to run once a day and it seems to be working as expected… yet, there is a constant usage of the Geocoding API outside of the job’s execution window.
What is using it?
When are the Geocoding API calls executed by SuiteCRM? One executed initially, shouldn’t they happen only after each record’s address change?

Sorry - I’m new to Google APIs, so probably the cause fault is on me setting things up improperly.

Will appreciate any help here. Otherwise it proves to be quite expensive feature, where each API call costs money.

Kind Regards.
Borys

I’m also interested in the replies to this.
How did you find out Google’s report? I can’t find it.

If you guys can find which place in the code is sending that request, a stack trace would tell us where it’s being called from.

Do you have the exact details of those requests? Anything particular about them?

I was looking for any more details on the requests in Google Cloud’s console, but really there is not much info about individual requests. I only could find the number of requests per minute:
Menu on the top left --> APIs & Services --> Dashboard, click “Geocoding API” (already here we can see the total number of requests issued), then on the menu to the left Quotas --> select Geocoding API from the drop down near the top of the screen, unscroll “Requests” by clicking the “down” arrow on the right hand side of the screen, and there we have metrics regarding usage of Geocoding API.
When I select “Requests per minute” from the drop down, I get constant of 3 requests / min, 24 hours a day.

I have no idea how to get more details on what these requests are and which part of code is triggering those.
It’s been barely 2 weeks, and I already passed equivalent of $200 mark and a single installation of SuiteCRM, that is not used very much for now, is the only thing that is using it.

Any ideas how to trace, what are these requests and what is triggering those?

Here is how the cost usage presents on the graph:

Have you tried increasing the SuiteCRM log level (in Admin / System settings) and then trying to figure out if there’s any sign of these geocoding requests, 3 times per minute, in the log?

Thank You for this valuable tip. Somehow it didn’t occur to me to try increasing the log level.
Thanks to that I was able to find class (setupMobLogic), that is triggering it and with a bit of more search through the code I narrowed it down to the TapCRM plugin.
Also, “TapCRM” is visible in the log right before the call, but that wasn’t conclusive for me.

Below is the part of the log

I will create a case with TapCRM support on this.

Thanks for support!

1 Like