File permissions

Is there a way to avoid SuiteCRM/SugarCRM running under Linux to continuously change file permissions and thus causing flaws and malfunctioning in the system?

I am getting a little fed up of having to reset file permissions every now and then.

First I set them correctly, including in config.php (which I do not understand why it comes with permissions which everyone tells you to change!)

So, once they have been set correctly, you start using the system and, suddenly they are again wrong. This has happened to me tens of times and I guess it has happened to every one since there are hundreds if not thousands of posts (obviously mostly on SugarCRM, but we are talking about the same thing here) asking for help for problems which, at the end of the day, are due to file permissions.

Hi there,

What is your server OS/distribution? If your permissions are not correct in your config.php then if you run a repair & rebuild, they can be reset/modified hence cause issues. If you can inform us of your setup we can recommend permissions to set and you can test them out!

Thanks,

Will.

Hi Will,

obviously the problem is not with SuiteCRM and the SalesAgility team who are all great!!!

I am on a shared hosting service running
. Php 5.3.3
. Linux 2.6.32-531.11.2.lve1.2.55.el6.x86_64 (provided by php_uname()

As you suggested a few weeks ago I have used the following setting in config.php:
(I have also tried with ‘dir_mode’ => 1533, // 2775 and ‘file_mode’ => 493, // 755
)
‘default_permissions’ =>
array (
‘dir_mode’ => 1517,
‘file_mode’ => 420,
‘user’ => ‘’,
‘group’ => ‘’,
),

And I also changed permissions manually in the following way:
sudo chown -R www-data:www-data .

sudo chmod -R 755 .

sudo chmod -R 775 cache custom modules themes data upload config_override.php

Unfortunately, at times I find certain files whose permissions are no longer the correct ones. And when this happens I get a malfunctioning in the CRM system.
So far I haven’t put it in production but, if these problems are not solved for once and for all it will never go into production because I would get fired after one or two times this problem occurs!

Hi there,

Please specify the user/group in the config.php. Is it ubuntu linux? centos? some have apache:apache and some www-data:www-data as the owner/group.

Thanks,

Will.

Thanks!
I have now added also owner and group hoping that this solves it for once and for all!

I am having a similar problem. I am currently with a shared hosting company and they do NOT allow the use of command CHOWN. Most of the shared hosting companies I have spoken to do not allow this either.

I see the person who started this thread is also using shared hosting, can you give the setup instructions for shared hosting? Or do i need to find a host that will allow me to run CHOWN?

Typically a shared hosting company will assign a customer a unique user (owner) and a group (which may be the same for all shared hosting customers) to each customer.
Some folders may have a different group in order not to allow customers to execute certain commands.

You should be able to see the owner and the group with common FTP clients.

Personally I use Filezilla and FTP Surfer. With the latter I can see both owner and group while with Filezilla (but I haven’t investigated at all) I only see two numbers in the collumns owner /group.
If these values are not consistent across your hosting space you can probably open a ticket with your hosting company and ask them to set them consistently (keep in mind that they may not do it for certain “reserved” folders).

Then you can just enter these values in the SuiteCRM config.php.

Having said all this SugarCRM (obviously this is not the fault of SuiteCRM) must have sevaral flaws in its code which, in part is rather poor and inconsistent, which, after certain operations are performed from within the CRM, the File Permissions get messed up causing a lot of problems.

The true evidence is that this topic comes up recursively in all forums where problems with SugarCRM are discussed so the problem are not the File Permissions themselves but the SugarCRM code!

Last but not least: SuiteCRM remains a great product and I am still committed to use it!