Drop Down Lists in v8

Reading documentation it is possible to import Drop Down list key-value pairs in v7 but the functionality is not present in 8.4. I understand from the documentation that these key-value pairs are stored in files and I wondered if anyone could shed light on where the files are stored and whether editing/creating them manually would be a viable option? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I don’t think any of this changed in v8 - except that the old files are now under a directory called public/legacy

Thanks for the reply, I dont have any experience of using v7, I’ll have a look in the directory you suggest and see if I can figure it out though. If you have any suggested reading I would be grateful as I need to find my way

The basic idea is that any old posts you find regarding this drop-down issue, should be applicable, the only needed change is to prefix the paths with public/legacy

I couldnt find my way with what you have suggested. I am looking to change the enums stored for a dropdown list. I can see the dropdown in the fields_meta_data table and reference to something in the ext_1 column but I cannot find where the actual enumeration is. Any ideas/pointers gratefully received…

Some of the content I am looking for is present in a file called en_us.js but this is in
/legacy/cache/jsLanguage
Can anyone tell me if this file is auto-generated or stored somewhere as well as the the cache folder…?