Deleting files in uploads/upgrades/patch folder

In my uploads/upgrades/patch folder are stored the files and folder that were necessary to upgrade SugarCRM, and then SuiteCRM over time to the new versions.

Now these files and folders are for me useless and I would like to delete them but I haven’t found a clear statement that says that it is safe to delete them.

The files I would like to remove are:

SugarCE Migration 6.5.x to SuiteCRM 7.1.8-restore SugarCE-Upgrade-6.4.x-to-6.4.3-restore SugarCE-Upgrade-6.4.x-to-6.5.0RC2-restore SugarCE-Upgrade-6.5.0RC1-to-6.5.0-restore SugarCE-Upgrade-6.5.x-to-6.5.16-restore SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.1.x-to-7.3.1-restore SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.3.x-to-7.4.3-restore SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.4.x-to-7.6.4-restore SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.6.x-to-7.7.5-restore SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.7.x-to-7.8.1-restore SugarCE Migration 6.5.x to SuiteCRM 7.1.8-manifest.php SugarCE Migration 6.5.x to SuiteCRM 7.1.8.zip SugarCE-Upgrade-6.4.x-to-6.4.3-manifest.php SugarCE-Upgrade-6.4.x-to-6.5.0RC2-manifest.php SugarCE-Upgrade-6.5.0RC1-to-6.5.0-manifest.php SugarCE-Upgrade-6.5.0RC1-to-6.5.0.zip SugarCE-Upgrade-6.5.x-to-6.5.16-manifest.php SugarCE-Upgrade-6.5.x-to-6.5.16.zip SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.1.x-to-7.3.1-manifest.php SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.1.x-to-7.3.1.zip SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.3.x-to-7.4.3-manifest.php SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.3.x-to-7.4.3.zip SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.4.x-to-7.6.4-manifest.php SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.4.x-to-7.6.4.zip SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.6.x-to-7.7.5-manifest.php SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.6.x-to-7.7.5.zip SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.7.x-to-7.8.1-manifest.php SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.7.x-to-7.8.1.zip

I would like to keep only those regarding the latest upgrade to SuiteCRM 7.8.2, just in case something wrong happens (and. in any case we regularly back everything up)

Does anyone know if I may damage my system by deleting the files and folders in my list above?

Have you tried deleting the packages from within the Upgrade Wizard?

I have already deleted all those that were listed in the upload step of the upgrade wizard but (apart from the one of those listed in my post) the others are not visible in the upgrade wizard.

I guess that deleting them (in any case I have full weekly backups of everything) shouldn’t do any harm but, before doing so I thought it would be better to ask if anybody knew if there is something against the deletion.

In my experience (which is not much) they are completely safe to delete.

The restore directories contain the files that are overwritten when the installer copies new files. This means that the installer never simply overwrites, it copies the files to another location and only then places the new file in place. This might be useful in case you need to keep something from those files (some non-upgrade safe customization). But this is probably not frequent.

These patches are referenced from a table in MySQL called upgrade_history. I usually leave the rows there, I don’t delete them. I think they are just that - history. But if I ran into problems that would be the first thing I would check.

Maybe other people know more about this? Feel free to join the discussion.

2 Likes

I know that this topic is old but got 7 folders like this :
SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.11.x-to-7.11.13-restore
SuiteCRM-Upgrade-7.11.x-to-7.11.15-restore

etc …
Every of them look like to have the entire CRM inside it, with all the folder and everything.

Do you know why they are not prune by default ? It overcharges my CRM folder (7 times). IDK if I can delete them safely ?

Repeating my March 2017 post,

Have you tried deleting the packages from within the Upgrade Wizard?

Just as information. One of my installations was using a lot of space after so many upgrades. Today, I went to removed files on that folder.
Good news. All is good so far.
The only files I left were the files from the last upgrade. Just in case I need them in the future.

1 Like

Of course, it delete only the .zip file, not the extracted folder.

@BrozTechnologies thanks for the info, got 7 folders to delete, finger crossed ahah :rofl: