Customization: Email and Accounts Question

I have been digging around in the code for a while now and I’ve had to learn a lot by just trial and error. I have two questions that have me stumped for a while now and i’m hoping someone can answer my questions.

1. Is it possible to create custom account fields that are not removed and set to default once a modules are deployed using Module builder?
  2. how can I put a border around email widget just like the address widget. I want to create an account email and along side of it I want business email

Any reference material or examples would be great.
Thanks

1. Yes created the fields directly in custom/Extension/modules/YOURMODULE/Ext/Vardefs. You can also export customisations from studio which will act as a back up. If you redeploy a custom module from module builder you are effectively resetting the module.

2. I’m not sure if that can be done, or at least the amount of hassle to do it is probably not worth it. You could create a border just using css.

1 Like

Thanks for your response on my questions. I am attempting to learn SugarCRM/SuiteCRM structure and “master” it. I have always enjoyed doing things myself. For example I am self taught in multiple programming languages from PHP, Java, C++ etc etc. My next language to learn is LISP. Anyway I have 2 more question for you.

1. Will there be complete documentation for SuiteCRM. I don’t mean like an API reference documentation style. for example explanation for directory structure. Does Studio save it’s file in the /Studio directory or does it cross into the /custom/modules/{module name}/metadata/ directory and on what conditions would this occur as well as what data is stored in the directory. It seems to me that the biggest learning curve here is not knowing what information is stored and where. I’m sure this has to do with how big the project is.

2. I would like to have 8 custom modules each that store different data than the other except for 6 fields they are are the same in all 8 modules, they are all related to the main module which is a custom module as well. I would like the main module to show one panel with all 8 modules and the 6 fields that are the same. How would you say is the best way to achieve this or is it possible?

thanks