Creating custom frontend extensions SuiteCRM 8.+

I am currently working on my first custom frontend extension for SuiteCRM 8.3, and I’ve followed all the steps in this tutorial:

The Angular widget seems to be working - I can see its constructor printing out text via console.log(), so I believe the code is correct (it compiles without errors with yarn run build:default and the resulting JS files are loaded correctly).

However, the sidebar widget does not show up on the Details View in Accounts.

I’ve updated the detailviewdefs.php file as per the tutorial (path: public/legacy/modules/Accounts/metadata/detailviewdefs.php), so that it adds the widget to the sidebar area, but it appears that the changes in this file are not picked up by the CRM at all.

Can anyone suggest any ideas why changes in detailviewdefs.php aren’t picked up? What can I try to troubleshoot this?

A quick search online hinted that the detailviewdefs.php file may be overridden by Studio customizations.

Can that be the case?

I’ll try to investigate but I don’t know how Studio interacts with these view definition files.

Possibly related to this thread:

Ok after a bit more digging around I’ve figured that Studio generates the following file:

public/legacy/custom/modules/Accounts/metadata/detailviewdefs.php

which can be modified from Studio, and it completely ignores customizations made in

public/legacy/modules/Accounts/metadata/detailviewdefs.php.

The good news is that this file can be modified manually and the changes to sidebarWidgets will not be overwritten by Studio.

Hope this helps someone else.

1 Like