Conflicting Instructions

Hello,

I’m installing–scratch that, I mean I am trying to install 7.5.1 and having lots of errors (see other post). So I am trying to clarify the prerequisites and install instructions. Some seem needlessly confusing!

1. PERMISSIONS

The main instructions state that you should set ownership, then set everything to 755, and then select folders and files to 775. Ok, no big deal. However there are a number of posts (including from an admin on this site) that talks about some files being set to 664 (I think that was the number), and another post commenting on how after setting permissions you need to make changes to the permission lines in config.php and another file I can’t recall just now.

NONE OF THIS IS IN THE OFFICIAL INSTRUCTIONS. Those that post these bits of information seem like credible sources, so this is all really confusing–which to listen to???

1. DATA-BASE

I’m a bit confused as to whether I need to create a database in cpanel or mysql first, OR simply input the criteria for a DB’s creation into Suite when installing, and it will take care of doing it. I say this because when attempting to install before, I pre-created a DB and Suite popped up an overwrite warning. So I’m unclear as to which is considered best practices.

1. MY SQL 5.5.XX – WILL IT WORK?

A check of my DB returns:
“mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.47, for Linux (i686) using readline 5.1”

Frankly I am unsure which version that means I am running–5.5 or 5.1? Will that work on 7.5?

1. PHP VERSION

I’m running “PHP Version 5.3.29”. The 7.1 install doc states that it fine, but then I see that 7.1 doc also comments version 7.5 needs PHP version 5.4 or newer (https://suitecrm.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Compatibility_matrix_for_upgrade). So should I upgrade? (and if 7.5 is being referenced, why isn’t this doc called the 7.5 install guide?)

Thank you in advance for all the replies! Truly appreciated.

-Lance

I’m not a administrator for the site i’m a user just like yourself but I am also a programmer and web designer.

1. All folders should be 775 and files should be 664 as default. 99% of the time the default setting will work just fine.
  2. It is general practice for installers to create there own database unless it is being done as an upgrade in which case there should be a section to select the database to use. Again I have not installed or upgraded to SuiteCRM yet so the information I am giving you is just the general flow of how it usually works.
  3. “mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.47, for Linux (i686) using readline 5.1” - This means you are using version 5.5.47 installed on a Linux machine and using the readline v5.1 application. The important thing is you are using version 5.5.47 so yes it should work
  4. according to the what you have displayed it look like your current php version will work just fine. The difference between 5.3 and 5.4 is not a lot mostly some new functions and incompatibility if you move to 5.4. I usually keep my systems one version lower than the latest php version sometimes two if I can get away with it. This is to make sure that any bugs have been worked out before I use it on a live server.

I hope I have been able to clear up a few thing for you and remember I am a USER just like you so feel free to wait for a response from an administrator if you want too.

I am responding only on permissions:

The settings suggested by Will, John and all the SuiteCRM Staff are the ones that should be followed.

If you search well the forum they recommend permissions both to be set via a shell command as well as in the config.php file.

Personally I use a different (less safe) set of permissions in the config.php file. This is because I have had problems with the suggested set and I am fine (but this is just a personal decision) with the slightly higher level of risk (I keep 775 for folders and 755 for files in config.php)

The other file mentioned that you can’t recall its name should be include/utils.php where, on one side, I believe there is a bug and which has to be dealt with, on the other side, I set the same permissions as in config.php.

Thank you to both Madhat and Amari !

So if I’m following, it sounds like according to Madhat, my system should be compatible as is. Great!

Amari: Unless I’m mistaken, that info on what to do with the config.php and include/utils.php files isn’t in the manual, is it? And I only know about it because of some references to it I’ve seen on here. But haven’t come across actual instructions of what to do with them. Do you have a link to something with clarity on the subject? Thank you!

Thank you both. It does leave me wondering though, if what I have done and how my server is configured is all basically ok, then where I am getting all the errors and undefined warnings from? I’ll try installing again (after hearing back on what to do with those PHP files) and hope the server gods will improve the situation.

:wink:

Lance

This is the most current version I could find related to permissions from SugarCRM:
http://support.sugarcrm.com/Documentation/Sugar_Versions/6.5/Ult/Administration_Guide/Advanced_Configuration_Options/index.html

http://support.sugarcrm.com/Knowledge_Base/Administration/Platform_Management/Required_File_System_Permissions_on_Linux/index.html

However, from my and many others experience the settings suggested in this article seem to cause issues.

In the following article search for “default_permissions” and you will read on the settings that go in config.php and config_override.php (as well as in include/utils.php):

http://support.sugarcrm.com/Documentation/Sugar_Developer/Sugar_Developer_Guide_6.5/Application_Framework/Helper_Classes/Configurator/Core_Settings/index.html

(the next link is almost the same for a newer version of SugarCRM, however SuiteCRM is based on version 6.5)
http://support.sugarcrm.com/Documentation/Sugar_Developer/Sugar_Developer_Guide_6.7/Application_Framework/Helper_Classes/Configurator/Core_Settings/index.html

The following is the official SugarCRM 6.5 CE intallation instructions page (please note that in the latest versions of SuiteCRM the installation script has been simplified):
http://support.sugarcrm.com/Documentation/Sugar_Versions/6.5/CE/Installation_and_Upgrade_Guide/
(this document covers again some of the things you asked for)

The following is the SuiteCRM Intallation Guide, which covers sevaral of the topics you have raised:
https://suitecrm.com/wiki/index.php/Installation

Thank you, I will take a look.

The bottom line was that I was told to suppress these PHP warnings in PHP setting in WHM/cpanel. That they are not critical. I have been also upgrading my PHP to 5.4 and rebuilding apache/php, as suggested above. And generally cleaning things up.

I have yet to get it installed yet, as I decided to move it to a different account and am now running into problems having access to the database. I’m guessing that the issue is if I move to another account, I can no longer use “localhost”? But not sure what I should use.

LanceNY,
Hey sounds like you have quite a bit happening here and as i’m not sure how far you’ve gotten or how much you know about it I will cover just a couple of quick points.

1. When moving a sql database make sure you export you database to file so that you can import it into your new database. Depending on your host this process can vary so as much as I hate to say “check with your hosting provider” because I hate posts that don’t answer the question but pass the buck. In this case there really isn’t an easy answer. if your webhost happens to be ixwebhosting then they have an excellent doc on how to do this but the process should be very close to the same on other provders mysql database export doc

2. Again depending on your hosting provider this can vary. I’ve provided some examples that can be used but again in your providers admin panel you should be able to find something that resembles one of the following

• A. localhost port 3306 for mysql or 1433 for sql (defaults)
  • B. 127.0.0.1 again port 3306 for mysql or 1433 for sql
  • C. {sub}.{webhost}.{com/net} port port 3306 for mysql or 1433 for sql

If this was helpful be sure to karma me

Thank you Madhat,

I’ve moved on to other projects that were more time critical, and will circle back when time permits. In the meantime I found something else running on my server, EAccelerator, which was causing issues for other programs (esproCRM), which ran fine once that was removed. So I wonder if some of my issues with SuiteCRM are related?

I’ll cycle back and try again when time permits. Thanks!

Lance