Compose Email - From Dropdown & Reply Errors

I am having multiple problems with email in new SuiteCRM 7.10.10.

Background –

I have been using SuiteCRM 7.7.8 for about 2 years and it has worked well for me. It is loaded on a local computer with Turnkey Linux with Php 5. I wanted to upgrade, so on a test server I attempted to upgrade from 7.7.8 to 7.9.17 and then to 7.10.10, but I ran into problems with my php because I was using php5 and not php7 so it would not update to 7.10.10.

So I loaded a different local test computer with Ubuntu 18.04 and LAMP (using php7) and did a fresh installation of SuiteCRM 7.10.10. I set up a user account and a Lead and attempted to send out emails, but am having problems similar to others that I have seen posted on the forum from doing google searches.

On my SuiteCRM 7.7.8 I send out emails as a regular user using the Admin email settings. I do not retrieve any incoming emails in SuiteCRM. In both the 7.7.8 and 7.10.10 I am sending email using authenticating SMTP and SSL.
After reading several different threads in the forum from google searches, in SuiteCRM 7.10.10 I did set up both a group inbound email setting and a personal inbound email setting (using the same email settings as the Admin account). I tried setting up the incoming settings using the Admin – Inbound Email as well as through the user – Profile – Email Settings – Settings – Mail Accounts tab. I have made sure that the “Active” box is checked for both the personal and the group type of accounts.

ISSUE 1
In SuiteCRM 7.10.10 when I click to send a Lead an email, the compose window that comes up usually does not autofill the “Related To” box with “Leads” and then the individual’s name. While testing a few times it would fill in the box, but I could not determine any difference when it would or would not come up.

ISSUE 2
In SuiteCRM 7.10.10, the From box does not usually automatically fill in with the email username, but I can select it (after adding in the inbound settings for the personal type and/or the group type), but it does NOT display the email address along with the name (like it does in my version 7.7.8)

ISSUE 3
It seems to write out the person’s name and email address 2 or 3 times in the To field, but it does only seem to send the message once

ISSUE 4
When I click to Send the email, it will send, but it gets put into the Spam email of the recipient.
When looking in the spam inbox of the recipient, it is NOT displaying a Name and that area is blank. When I open the email and click on the details for the send/receive information it says
“from: via: example.com” instead of showing the name and email address that it should be from.
It does NOT display a Reply to name and email address
The “mailed-by gateway” lists the hosting company’s server instead of my domain name.

ISSUE 5
The suitecrm.log file gives an error “[FATAL] SugarPHPMailer encountered an error: Invalid address: (addAnAddress Reply-To):”

On my older instance of SuiteCRM 7.7.8 I am not having any of these problems. When I click to compose an email it automatically fills in the proper “Related To” box with Lead, Contact, etc and the person’s name. It automatically fills in the From with my username and email address. When I send the email it displays the username in the From field when looking in the inbox. The emails go to the inbox and NOT the Spam box. The From and Reply To settings are correctly displayed when looking in the email and the details of the send/receive.

I am posting these problems in hopes that it may help others, but I have not found a solution yet. So in the meanwhile I will have to continue to use my old version of 7.7.8.

Keywords – From Not Showing Dropdown – Not showing email address – Not keeping Reply To address – No outbound accounts shown in “from” drop box

Recommendation - If you update, make sure to check sending emails to make sure it still works for you.

Sue, thanks for this write-up. I’m sorry you’re experiencing these problems. I agree with your final recommendation, it’s better to test email module first to see how it works on your setup.

Some of these problems are known issues (like the triple from address).

We’ve been putting some considerable time into writing an automated tests suite for our Email module. It is a particularly tough test suite to make, because testing emails involves external servers, and many different combinations of options. This effort will surely pay out in terms of Email module robustness in the future, but right now it is keeping us from solving simple email bugs like these quickly. Some community developers have been helpful and are contributing fixes, which is nice.

I’ll make sure your issues are included in the tests, which will ensure they need to get fixed :slight_smile:

Meanwhile please be patient, and you have some “developer fire-power” in your organization that you can deploy for any of these, please let us know. Thanks.