Cannot Set Ownership Group

Hi Folks,

I’m trying my hand at installing SuiteCRM and I’ve had a couple of issues. It’s installed and, semi working. However, I’m getting “undefined” on all my tabs when I try to do something and some pages only load intermittently. Sometimes with the page, sometimes just the header and footer.

Some searching indicates the problem might be ownership or permission based.

I’ve tried changing the group using “chgrp ApacheUser.ApacheGroup -R”. I also tried “chgrp myuser.myuser -R” with the same result.

Next, I’ve tried changing the ownership group using chown -R www-data:www-data but I keep getting “invalid group” errors. I also tried "chown -R myuser:www-data but I get the same errors.

I’m installing on a linux web server. MySQL version: 5.5.34-cll-lve, PHP version: 5.3.27, Apache version: 2.4.6

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

What version of linux are you running? The owner/group user can vary dependant on your version/flavour.

Once you have found the correct owner/group user, set the following recommended permissions:

sudo chmod -R 755 .
sudo chmod -R 775 cache custom modules themes data upload config_override.php

Thanks,

Will.

Hi Will,

Thanks so much for the quick reply.

I’ve already set those permissions, using FileZilla.

As far as version of linux, it’s my webhost so I’m not entirely sure. Looking on my cpanel, I can see a kernel version: 2.6.32 and Architecture: x86_64.

Do either of those pieces of info help you narrow down my linux version?

Hi there,

It may be advisable to contact your web host as they will know which owner/group user should be set.

Thanks,

Will.

Ha ha,

I contacted them yesterday, they told me to contact you.

Hi Will,

I just received a response from my host saying they are running CloudLinux Server release 6.5 (Pavel Popovich)

Does that help with group names?

Hi there,

What is the owner/group on other files on your server?

Thanks,

Will.

I believe it is the username for my hosting package. I’m basing this on a message from them yesterday saying, “For ApacheUser.ApacheGroup you need to replace it with your user name”

For what it’s worth, I’ve tried that, too.

Hi there,

Does following this guide give any insight?

Thanks,

Will.

Nothing really new that I can see there. The permissions are ok, I’ve changed them several times with FileZilla recursive updates.

I think the group is the problem. The page you linked to showed a couple of different ways to change group but, in every case I still receive “invalid group” errors.

Hi Will,

I just received confirmation on the ownership group for my Suite install as follows:

drwxr-xr-x 20 whiteroc whiteroc 4096 Mar 25 12:30 crm