API setup and example

Progress! Looks like you need to split out the three fields in there separated by dot (’.’) THEN you can base64 decode to get the field:

Explode access_token
Array
(
    [0] => eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImp0aSI6IjA2YjBmMjUyYjM0ZWI2ZmYyZTc5MGM0MTUwYTk0MjY0MDM5MGQzYjE3YjU1YzY0NGE2MGFiODNjOWQzMjI3N2U4M2E4ODU4YzI5M2Y2ZjhkIn0
    [1] => eyJhdWQiOiJkNDM1MWI4Mi1kOTJjLTVlZTMtMzAwOC01ZGUyZThhN2YwZjYiLCJqdGkiOiIwNmIwZjI1MmIzNGViNmZmMmU3OTBjNDE1MGE5NDI2NDAzOTBkM2IxN2I1NWM2NDRhNjBhYjgzYzlkMzIyNzdlODNhODg1OGMyOTNmNmY4ZCIsImlhdCI6MTU5NzU5MjI1OCwibmJmIjoxNTk3NTkyMjU4LCJleHAiOjE1OTc1OTU4NTgsInN1YiI6IiIsInNjb3BlcyI6W119
    [2] => BxzLJEqdPVJgYpwIi8HmainFZ3xtmJLEfmiFDvqa_XIVXHoSRFd2xJLGqWGqrdBmqlwLSWkAW1Y5ewe9PVNdVwPp_UiYU0msnKTHMX2Egchd0XFgF0KU7-OUtp-L7itEs4lHI_ya5B2ZKIzn4xfE3d-EfKEo1HpTp8__PMMT88l_s0aaGDmdUFqpK1DQxRiTOdKXw7NjYTegF2eH6sxecj0tbRj3XUr921JmhjxqPu9piN5bg02ylsOLzO3C5ERZfUl1HjweDY8wgycvperpx6igBX2cKB_32WEk2DsWbrRZcuqK5ERdQjYOffRKHHI8v23hs-E6B1o1SkFQFMaPxw
)
base64_decode
{"typ":"JWT","alg":"RS256","jti":"06b0f252b34eb6ff2e790c4150a942640390d3b17b55c644a60ab83c9d32277e83a8858c293f6f8d"}Decoding bearer
stdClass Object
(
    [typ] => JWT
    [alg] => RS256
    [jti] => 06b0f252b34eb6ff2e790c4150a942640390d3b17b55c644a60ab83c9d32277e83a8858c293f6f8d
)
JTI = 06b0f252b34eb6ff2e790c4150a942640390d3b17b55c644a60ab83c9d32277e83a8858c293f6f8d

NOTE: still unable to decrypt refresh token – not sure what I should be passing in – tried both the base64 version and the jti

Thoughts?

-dvd

PS: found this site that can decode the entire response https://jwt.io/ and it verifies the signature using the public key so i know the server is sending a valid token

If you want to refresh token you get, than you should use grant_type password.
When getting the token with grant_type client_credentials, you get only API token, without refresh token.

I am using this code in Codeigniter library to get refreshable token:

$url = $this->CI->config->item('crmapi_url')."Api/access_token";
		$ch = curl_init($url);
		$headers = [
			'Accept: application/vnd.api+json',
			'Content-Type: multipart/form-data',
			'cache-control: no-cache'
		];
		curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true);
		curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
		curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER, $headers);
		curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST, false);
		curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, false);
		curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_VERBOSE, true);
		curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER,true);
		$post = array(
			"grant_type" => 'password',
			"client_id" => $this->CI->config->item('crmapi_client_id'),
			"client_secret" => $this->CI->config->item('crmapi_oauth_secret'),
			"username" => $this->CI->config->item('crmapi_username'),
			"password" => $this->CI->config->item('crmapi_password')
		);

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $post);
		$response = curl_exec($ch);

$header_size = curl_getinfo($ch, CURLINFO_HEADER_SIZE);
		$header = substr($response, 0, $header_size);
		$body = substr($response, $header_size);

curl_close($ch);

$res_arr = json_decode($body);
		$this->save_token($res_arr);

return $res_arr->access_token;

Thanks for the hint! I don’t really understand why username/password is required in the first place – literally every other API I use can work with simple API key + secret.

I personally like this approach, because it allows people to use third party apps (mobile applications/browser extensions and such) without having specific/new passwords.

What are you getting as a response?
Did you tried to set up a local domain and using this domain in url of your request instead of “localhost/newCRM”?
Did you set up a domain in your suitecrm while installation?

I’m getting both keys with the username/password pull and then can use refresh on it’s own after that with just the client_id version so it’s all good.

(I just cloned the virtual machine of our production instance and spun up a new VM to test against)

I like the approach of giving tools only api keys without having first class user account access to my systems. Like I said, this is probably the first API I’ve encountered that required getting a refreshable key from a set of user credentials versus just being able to use an api-key/secret to manage the access.

In a perfect world your api-keys might have “read-only” access for some cases where you don’t want to allow writes to happen…

Just thinking outloud really – appreciate you guys jumping in!

-dvd

Hi Everyone Here,

I have worked on the issue. If anybody is facing similar kind of issue Please check this link for the solution.

Thank You

Why the API configuration is so much difficult for SuiteCRM? I worked with so many APIs, but this looks like not an easy task.
Is anyone having step-by-step configuration with screenshots on Linux Environment? I want to use Postman to get the APIs information.

In the documentation you’ll find a link to a Postman configuration file. It has everything you need and works right out of the box after you import it into Postman. V8 API was like the first API I ever did and it was pretty straight forward with the config file already done.